- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 - 16 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can no-salt-added tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon purchased garam masala or 1 teaspoon Homemade Garam Masala
- 2 cups hot cooked whole wheat couscous
1. In a large skillet, cook chicken in hot oil for 4 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
2. Add onions, carrots, and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garbanzo beans, tomato puree, molasses, and salt to skillet. Return chicken to skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in chocolate and garam masala until combined. Serve over couscous.
- In a medium skillet, combine 1 tablespoon cardamom seeds, 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, 12 whole cloves, and a 3-inch-long piece stick cinnamon; cook over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until aromatic, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Place cinnamon in a resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Using a rolling pin or mallet, crush cinnamon. In a spice grinder or blender, combine all of the spices. Cover and grind or blend to a fine powder. Store spice blend in an airtight storage container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Makes about 1/4 cup.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 507,
- Fat, total (g) 8,
- chol. (mg) 66,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 74,
- fiber (g) 12,
- pro. (g) 39,
- sodium (mg) 596,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet