- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 large yellow, red, and/or green sweet peppers
- 2 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks), skinned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
1. To roast the sweet peppers, cut them into quarters. Remove stems, membranes, and seeds. Place pepper pieces, cut side down, on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake in a 425 degree F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until skins are bubbly and very dark. Wrap pepper pieces tightly in foil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a paring knife, pull the skin off gently. Cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Set aside.
2. Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. In a large nonstick skillet cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning to brown evenly. Drain well. Sprinkle chicken with oregano, salt, and crushed red pepper. Stir in the onion, celery, and wine or broth. Bring to boiling.
3. Cook, uncovered, over high heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, turning chicken once. Carefully stir in the undrained tomatoes. Meanwhile, begin preparing rice according to package directions.
4. Cover skillet and simmer chicken for 15 minutes. Stir in the roasted pepper strips. Cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink and sauce is of desired consistency. Serve over hot rice, Makes 4 servings.
- Prepared roasted sweet peppers as directed and place individual pepper pieces between sheets of waxed paper. Place in a sealable plastic freezer bag; freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw at room temperature about 30 minutes. (Or, place the peppers and a small amount of olive oil in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.)
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 441,
- Fat, total (g) 10,
- chol. (mg) 93,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 43,
- fiber (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 36,
- sodium (mg) 411,
- Vegetables () 3,
- Starch () 2,
- Lean Meat () 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet