- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 2/3 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups short- or medium-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 1/3 cups dried tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground saffron or turmeric
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios and/or slivered almonds
- Fresh chive sprigs (optional)
- Snipped dried tart cherries (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan bring water, uncooked rice, and the 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with the salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet cook onion in hot oil until tender. Add chicken and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until no pink remains. Transfer chicken and onion to a bowl; set aside.
3. In the same skillet melt the margarine or butter over medium heat. Press half of the cooked rice evenly in skillet using the back of a greased spoon. Cook, uncovered, without stirring, for 8 minutes or until brown and crispy on bottom.
4. Meanwhile, add remaining cooked rice, the 1-1/3 cups cherries, and the sugar to the chicken mixture; toss to combine. Spread mixture over top of the rice. Dissolve saffron or turmeric in hot water; drizzle the saffron or turmeric mixture over top. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
5. Carefully invert onto a serving plater. Sprinkle nuts on top before serving. Garnish with chives and additional tart cherries, if desired. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 571,
- Fat, total (g) 14,
- chol. (mg) 45,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 86,
- fiber (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 23,
- vit. A (IU) 1506,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 516,
- calcium (mg) 30,
- iron (mg) 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet