- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 8 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2-1/2 pounds total)
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or 4 pieces Canadian-style bacon, halved
- 6 cups cooked long grain white and wild rice blend* or cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sliced green onions (8)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh asparagus (about 12 spears) or chopped fresh broccoli
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, white wine, or milk
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. With a small sharp knife, make a 2-inch-wide horizontal slit in the side of each chicken breast to create a deep pocket. Stuff each pocket with 1 piece of the prosciutto or half of a piece of the Canadian bacon, folding or cutting as needed to fit.
2. Spread rice in an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with chicken. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add green onions; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Whisk in flour and pepper until well mixed. Add milk all at once, whisking to combine. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in asparagus, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and the sherry. In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, the panko, and Italian seasoning.
4. Pour sauce over chicken; sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F).
- * If cooking packaged long grain and wild rice blend, do not use the seasoning packet.
- Prepare as directed. Cover and chill for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw casserole in refrigerator for 48 hours, if frozen. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake about 30 minutes more or until heated through.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 547,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- chol. (mg) 109,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 45,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 3,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- Trans fatty acid (g) 0,
- fiber (g) 2,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 47,
- vit. A (IU) 632,
- vit. C (mg) 6,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 13,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 32,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 899,
- Potassium (mg) 532,
- calcium (mg) 222,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet