- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 1 1/4ounce package (2 tablespoons) taco seasoning mix
- 1 egg
- 1 4 ounce can whole green chili peppers, rinsed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise (6 pieces total)
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into six 2x1/2-inch sticks
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 8 ounce jar taco sauce or salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (optional)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap.
2. In a bowl combine cornmeal and taco seasoning mix. Place egg in another bowl; beat lightly.
3. For each roll, place a chili pepper half on a chicken piece. Place a cheese stick atop chili pepper near an edge. Sprinkle with some of the cilantro or parsley, black pepper, and red pepper. Fold in sides; roll up jelly-roll style, starting from edge with cheese .
4. Dip rolls into egg and coat with cornmeal mixture. Place rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Heat taco sauce. If desired, sprinkle chicken with shredded cheese. Serve with taco sauce or salsa. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 235,
- Fat, total (g) 10,
- chol. (mg) 103,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 13,
- pro. (g) 28,
- vit. A (RE) 62,
- vit. C (mg) 20,
- sodium (mg) 769,
- calcium (mg) 101,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet