These chicken rolls each have cheese-stuffed chili pepper inside. They are a fanciful chicken recipe to serve when entertaining.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Bake: 25 mins to 30 mins 375°F
- Start to Finish: 45 mins
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
1 1/4 ounce package (2 tablespoons) taco seasoning mix
4 ounce can whole green chili peppers, rinsed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise (6 pieces total)
ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into six 2x1/2-inch sticks
teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 ounce jar taco sauce or salsa
cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (optional)
Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap.
- In a bowl combine cornmeal and taco seasoning mix. Place egg in another bowl; beat lightly.
- For each roll, place a chili pepper half on a chicken piece. Place a cheese stick atop chili pepper near an edge. Sprinkle with some of the cilantro or parsley, black pepper, and red pepper. Fold in sides; roll up jelly-roll style, starting from edge with cheese .
- Dip rolls into egg and coat with cornmeal mixture. Place rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Heat taco sauce. If desired, sprinkle chicken with shredded cheese. Serve with taco sauce or salsa. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Pollo Relleno)
- Per serving:
- 235 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 103 mg chol.,
- 769 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet