- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chile peppers
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 12 6 inches corn tortillas*
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup crumbled or shredded queso fresco or queso anejo
- Fruit salsa or other salsa (optional)
1. In a large skillet cook onion in the 1 tablespoon hot oil until tender. Stir in undrained canned tomatoes and undrained chile peppers. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated; stir in chicken.
2. Place 1/4 cup of the filling on one end of each tortilla and roll up; secure with toothpicks. Pour the 1/4 cup oil into a clean large skillet; heat over medium heat until hot. Fry tacos, three or four at a time, in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Transfer fried tacos to a paper-towel-lined tray.
3. To serve, cover a serving platter or individual plates with shredded lettuce and diced fresh tomato. Top with tacos. Serve with Mexican crema, crumbled cheese, and, if desired, salsa.
- To help prevent tortillas from breaking, wrap two tortillas at a time in paper towels. Microwave on 100% power (high) for 10 seconds. Fill the two tortillas before microwaving the next two tortillas.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 454,
- Fat, total (g) 26,
- chol. (mg) 91,
- sat. fat (g) 7,
- carb. (g) 31,
- fiber (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 25,
- sodium (mg) 304,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet