Paula Deen's Herb-Fried Chicken
pound chicken, washed and cut into 8 serving pieces
cup snipped fresh sage or parsley
teaspoon cracked black pepper
Peanut oil for frying
Small fresh sage leaves
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, 2 to 4 hours.
- In bowl combine flour, the 12 cup herbs, and pepper; set aside. In shallow dish whisk together eggs and milk. Dip chicken in egg mixture then coat with flour mixture. Repeat.
- In deep 12-inch skillet add oil to depth of 1 inch (oil will rise as chicken is added.) Heat oil to 350 degrees F over medium-high heat.
- Gently lower four chicken pieces at a time into hot oil, (oil may spatter). Cook 14 to 16 minutes, turning after 8 minutes, or until brown and crisp and chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts, 180 degrees F for thighs). Oil temperature will drop when chicken is added; adjust heat as needed to maintain oil temperature at 325 degrees F. Drain chicken on wire rack or paper towels. Place in preheated 300 degree F oven while frying remaining chicken. To serve, top with sage leaves and lemon wedges. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Paula Deen's Herb-Fried Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 694 kcal cal.,
- 45 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 11 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 19 g monounsatured fat),
- 223 mg chol.,
- 544 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 37 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet