- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 chicken drumsticks or thighs, or 2 chicken legs, or 1 whole medium chicken breast, halved lengthwise (about 12 ounces total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup sweet red, yellow, or green pepper cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 8 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup loose-pack frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or dairy sour cream
1. If desired, remove the skin from the chicken. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. In a medium skillet cook the chicken, uncovered, in hot olive oil or cooking oil over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove the chicken from the skillet, reserving the drippings in the skillet.
2. Add the onion, pepper, and garlic to the drippings in the skillet. Cook and stir till the vegetables are tender but not brown. (Add more oil, if necessary.) Drain excess fat from the skillet.
3. Add the undrained tomatoes, water, rice, bouillon granules, and chili powder to the vegetables in the skillet. Bring to boiling, scraping up any browned bits. Add chicken pieces. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or till chicken is nearly done.
4. Sprinkle the peas over the rice-chicken mixture. Cover and cook about 5 minutes more or till chicken is tender and no pink remains and rice is tender. Dollop with yogurt or sour cream. Makes 2 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 2,
- cal. (kcal) 645,
- Fat, total (g) 22,
- chol. (mg) 98,
- sat. fat (g) 5,
- carb. (g) 73,
- pro. (g) 40,
- sodium (mg) 936,
- Potassium (mg) 958,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet