Paella-Style Brown Rice and Chicken
chicken drumsticks or thighs, or 2 chicken legs, or 1 whole medium chicken breast, halved lengthwise (about 12 ounces total)
tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
small onion, cut into thin wedges (1/2 cup)
cup sweet red, yellow, or green pepper cut into 1/2-inch squares
clove garlic, minced
8 ounce can stewed tomatoes
cup quick-cooking brown rice
teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
teaspoon chili powder
cup loose-pack frozen peas, thawed
cup plain yogurt or dairy sour cream
- If desired, remove the skin from the chicken. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. In a medium skillet cook the chicken, uncovered, in hot olive oil or cooking oil over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove the chicken from the skillet, reserving the drippings in the skillet.
- Add the onion, pepper, and garlic to the drippings in the skillet. Cook and stir till the vegetables are tender but not brown. (Add more oil, if necessary.) Drain excess fat from the skillet.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, water, rice, bouillon granules, and chili powder to the vegetables in the skillet. Bring to boiling, scraping up any browned bits. Add chicken pieces. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or till chicken is nearly done.
- Sprinkle the peas over the rice-chicken mixture. Cover and cook about 5 minutes more or till chicken is tender and no pink remains and rice is tender. Dollop with yogurt or sour cream. Makes 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Paella-Style Brown Rice and Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 645 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 98 mg chol.,
- 936 mg sodium,
- 73 g carb.,
- 40 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet