- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 3 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil or cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mild to medium chile powder, such as Ancho or New Mexico
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary, crushed
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsely
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
1. Place chicken in a plastic bag set in a deep bowl. For marinade, stir together buttermilk, oil, shallots, lemon peel, lemon juice, chile powder, thyme or rosemary, and 1 tablespoon salt. Pour over chicken; close bag. Chill 4 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
2. Stir together eggs and 2 tablespoons water; set aside. For the cornmeal crust, combine Parmesan cheese, cornmeal, bread crumbs, and snipped fresh parsley in a shallow dish. Dip chicken into egg mixture, then into the cornmeal mixture.
3. Place prepared chicken in a well-greased shallow baking pan. Drizzle with melted butter or margarine. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 1-1/4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink and coating is crisp and golden. Makes 8 servings.
- Coat chicken as directed above. Loosely cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 351,
- Fat, total (g) 19,
- chol. (mg) 144,
- sat. fat (g) 7,
- carb. (g) 12,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 31,
- vit. A (IU) 632,
- sodium (mg) 678,
- calcium (mg) 101,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet