Oven-Roasted Chicken with Spicy Cornmeal Crust
This oven-roasted buttermilk marinated chicken recipe, coated in chile-cornmeal crust, rivals old-fashioned pan-fried chicken. The chicken pieces need 4 hours to marinate before breading and baking.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Marinate: 4 hrs
- Roast: 1 hr 15 mins 375°F
- Place chicken in a plastic bag set in a deep bowl. For marinade, stir together buttermilk, oil, shallots, lemon peel, lemon juice, chile powder, thyme or rosemary, and 1 tablespoon salt. Pour over chicken; close bag. Chill 4 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- Stir together eggs and 2 tablespoons water; set aside. For the cornmeal crust, combine Parmesan cheese, cornmeal, bread crumbs, and snipped fresh parsley in a shallow dish. Dip chicken into egg mixture, then into the cornmeal mixture.
- Place prepared chicken in a well-greased shallow baking pan. Drizzle with melted butter or margarine. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 1-1/4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink and coating is crisp and golden. Makes 8 servings.
Coat chicken as directed above. Loosely cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
- Per serving:
- 351 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 144 mg chol.,
- 678 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet