Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup
- In a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven combine chicken, water, onion, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones and skin. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from broth.
- Bring broth to boiling. Stir in carrot and celery. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes. Stir in noodles. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes more or until noodles are tender but still firm. Stir in chicken and parsley; heat through.
- Makes 8 servings (10 1/2 cups)
Nutrition Facts (Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup)
- Per serving:
- 152 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 73 mg chol.,
- 684 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet