- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 chicken legs (thigh-drumstick piece) or 4 each drumsticks and thighs (about 3 pounds total) or 4 chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 tablespoons light-flavored molasses
1. If desired, remove skin from chicken. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a plastic bag in a shallow dish; set aside.
2. For marinade, stir together mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme until smooth. Pour marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and turn to coat the chicken with marinade. Chill for 4 to 24 hours, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken, reserving marinade. Measure 1/3 cup marinade; set aside to use to make the sauce.
3. In a grill with a cover, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the drip pan. Place the chicken pieces, bone side down, on the grill rack over the drip pan but not over the coals. Cover and grill for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, brushing occasionally with remaining marinade. (Do not brush during the last 5 minutes of grilling.)
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the 1/3 cup reserved marinade and the molasses. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Pass sauce with chicken. Makes 4 servings.
- How Hot is Hot? Some foods need to be grilled hot and fast, some low and slow. To gauge how hot the coals in your grill are, hold the palm of your hand a few inches over the center of the grill rack. If you can hold your hand there two seconds or less, the coals are hot; three seconds would be medium-hot, four for medium, and five for medium-slow coals.
- When grilling indirectly, hot coals will provide medium-hot heat at the cooking site, and medium-hot coals will provide medium heat.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 327,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- chol. (mg) 103,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 10,
- pro. (g) 31,
- vit. A (RE) 41,
- vit. C (mg) 8,
- sodium (mg) 904,
- calcium (mg) 30,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet