This chicken casserole recipe, layered with tortilla strips, tomato sauce, chicken, and cheddar cheese, has the flavors of Mexico, enjoyed all over the world.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Bake: About 45 mins 350°F
- Stand: 10 mins
- Combine soup, tomatoes with chiles, sweet pepper, onion, chili powder, and black pepper; set aside.
- To assemble, sprinkle about one-third of the tortilla strips over the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole. Layer half of the chicken over tortilla strips; spoon half of soup mixture on top. Sprinkle half of the cheese and another one-third of the tortilla strips over the soup mixture. Layer with remaining chicken, soup mixture, and tortilla strips.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree F oven about 45 minutes or until bubbly around edges and center is hot. Remove from oven; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with sliced tomatoes and green onions. Makes 8 servings.
Cover tightly after sprinkling with cheese. Transport in an insulated carrier. If desired, trasnport tomatoes and green onions in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
About 1 pound boneless chicken breasts will yield 3 cups cubed cooked chicken; 1/2 pound yields about 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
Prepare using method above, except assemble in an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 35 minutes or until bubbly around edges and center is hot.
- Per serving:
- 380 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 83 mg chol.,
- 702 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 27 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet