Maryland Fried Chicken with Creamy Gravy
- In a small bowl combine the egg and the 3 tablespoons milk. In a shallow bowl combine crushed crackers, thyme, paprika, and pepper. Dip chicken pieces, 1 at a time, in egg mixture; roll in cracker mixture.
- In a large skillet brown chicken in hot oil over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain well.
- Add the 1 cup milk to skillet. Heat just to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover tightly. Cook for 35 minutes. Uncover; cook about 10 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks). Transfer chicken to a serving platter, reserving drippings for gravy. Cover chicken and keep warm. Prepare Creamy Gravy. Makes 6 servings.
- Skim fat from drippings. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the drippings in skillet. In a screw-top jar combine milk, all-purpose flour, salt, and black pepper; cover and shake until well combined. Add to skillet. Stir in an additional milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. (If desired, thin with additional milk.) Makes about 1-3/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Maryland Fried Chicken with Creamy Gravy)
- Per serving:
- 404 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 131 mg chol.,
- 423 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 35 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet