- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Marinate: 1 hr to 4 hrs
- Smoke: 1 hr 30 mins to 2 hrs
Jerk-Style Smoked Chicken
pounds meaty chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks)
cup tomato juice
cup finely chopped onion (1 small)
tablespoons lime juice
tablespoon cooking oil
tablespoon Pickapeppa sauce (optional)
cloves garlic, minced
fruit wood chunks
tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning
- If desired, remove skin from chicken. Place chicken in a self-sealing plastic bag set in a deep dish. For marinade, in a small bowl combine tomato juice, onion, water, lime juice, oil, Pickapeppa sauce (if desired), salt, and garlic. Pour over chicken; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- At least 1 hour before smoke cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover. Drain before using. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Sprinkle jerk seasoning evenly over chicken; rub in with your fingers.
- In a smoker arrange preheated coals, drained wood chunks, and water pan according to the manufacturers directions. Pour water into pan. Place chicken on the grill rack over water pan. Cover; smoke for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender and juices run clear (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks). Add additional coals and water as needed to maintain temperature and moisture. Serve chicken with lime wedges. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Jerk-Style Smoked Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 283 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 104 mg chol.,
- 331 mg sodium,
- 3 g carb.,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet