Hearty Chicken and Noodles
chicken legs (thigh-drumstick portions) (about 2 pounds total)
14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups sliced carrot (4 medium)
cups chopped onion (2 large)
cups dried wide noodles
cup loose-pack frozen peas
- Remove skin from chicken. In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven, combine chicken, the water, broth, bay leaf, dried thyme (if using), salt, and pepper. Add carrot and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F). Discard bay leaf.
- Remove chicken from Dutch oven; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Chop or shred chicken; set aside.
- Return vegetable mixture to boiling. Add noodles; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of the milk and the peas.
- In a screw-top jar, combine remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour. Cover and shake until smooth. Stir into the noodle mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and fresh thyme (if using). Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Hearty Chicken and Noodles)
- Per serving:
- 316 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 102 mg chol.,
- 624 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 27 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet