- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 3 chicken legs (thigh-drumstick portions) (about 2 pounds total)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced carrot (4 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (2 large)
- 3 cups dried wide noodles
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup loose-pack frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Remove skin from chicken. In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven, combine chicken, the water, broth, bay leaf, dried thyme (if using), salt, and pepper. Add carrot and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F). Discard bay leaf.
2. Remove chicken from Dutch oven; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Chop or shred chicken; set aside.
3. Return vegetable mixture to boiling. Add noodles; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of the milk and the peas.
4. In a screw-top jar, combine remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour. Cover and shake until smooth. Stir into the noodle mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and fresh thyme (if using). Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 316,
- Fat, total (g) 6,
- chol. (mg) 102,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 37,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 27,
- sodium (mg) 624,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet