- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 2 1/2 - 3 pound whole broiler-fryer chicken
- Cooking oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 carrots, bias cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 medium apples, cored and cut into wedges
1. Skewer chicken's neck skin to back. Tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; brush with cooking oil.
2. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle, making sure bulb does not touch bone. Roast, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook potatoes and carrots in a large amount of boiling water for 20 to 25 minutes or until nearly tender; drain.
4. For glaze, in a small saucepan combine honey, mustard, margarine or butter, onion, curry powder, garlic salt, crushed red pepper, and ginger. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; set glaze aside.
5. Discard fat in roasting pan. Arrange potatoes, carrots, and apples around chicken in pan. Spoon glaze over chicken, vegetables, and apples. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes more or until meat thermometer registers 180 degree F. At this time, drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from oven; cover and let stand 10 minutes before carving. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 422,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- chol. (mg) 66,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 46,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 23,
- vit. A (RE) 1844,
- vit. C (mg) 6,
- sodium (mg) 456,
- calcium (mg) 40,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet