Garlic Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoons snipped fresh rosemary
teaspoon ground black pepper
3 pound whole roasting chicken
medium sweet potatoes (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
large sweet onion (such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla), cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Separate the cloves of garlic (you should have about 30 cloves) and peel. Mince four of the cloves. Set aside remaining garlic cloves.
- In a small bowl, combine minced garlic with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the rosemary, the ground black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Rub minced garlic mixture over chicken.
- Place six of the garlic cloves into the cavity of the chicken. Tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-going meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle. Do not allow thermometer tip to touch bone. Roast, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes, onion wedges, remaining garlic cloves, 1/2 tablespoon of the rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a 1392-inch baking pan. Drizzle vegetable mixture with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; toss to coat. Place in oven on a separate rack and roast, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven. Cover loosely with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve chicken with vegetables. Carve chicken,discarding skin before serving.
Nutrition Facts(Garlic Chicken with Sweet Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 393 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 119 mg chol.,
- 481 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 40 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet