Fruit and Chicken Kabobs
pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
teaspoons red wine vinegar
teaspoon curry powder
teaspoon ground allspice
teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
nectarine, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces, or 1 papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
cups hot cooked couscous or rice
- Rinse chicken; pat dry. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place chicken in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl stir together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, curry powder, allspice, and hot pepper sauce. Pour over chicken. Close the bag. Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for 4 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove chicken from marinade, reserving the marinade.
- In a saucepan cook the onion in a small amount of boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Thread the chicken, nectarine or papaya pieces, and partially cooked onion alternately onto eight 6-inch metal skewers.
- Grill the kabobs on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink, turning skewers occasionally. Place reserved marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to boiling. Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Pour marinade through a strainer, reserving liquid.
- Before serving, brush kabobs with the strained marinade. Serve kabobs with hot cooked couscous or rice. Pass any remaining marinade. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Fruit and Chicken Kabobs)
- Per serving:
- 374 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 59 mg chol.,
- 462 mg sodium,
- 54 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet