Fruit and Chicken Kabobs
Bring the fresh style and bold flavors of the Caribbean to the backyard grill with these red onion, nectarine, and chicken kabobs steeped in a sweet-and-fiery marinade. Serve them on a bed of hot couscous or rice.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Marinate: 4 hrs
- Grill: 15 mins
Fruit and Chicken Kabobs
pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
teaspoons red wine vinegar
teaspoon curry powder
teaspoon ground allspice
teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
nectarine, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces, or 1 papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
cups hot cooked couscous or rice
- Rinse chicken; pat dry. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place chicken in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl stir together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, curry powder, allspice, and hot pepper sauce. Pour over chicken. Close the bag. Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for 4 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove chicken from marinade, reserving the marinade.
- In a saucepan cook the onion in a small amount of boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Thread the chicken, nectarine or papaya pieces, and partially cooked onion alternately onto eight 6-inch metal skewers.
- Grill the kabobs on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink, turning skewers occasionally. Place reserved marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to boiling. Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Pour marinade through a strainer, reserving liquid.
- Before serving, brush kabobs with the strained marinade. Serve kabobs with hot cooked couscous or rice. Pass any remaining marinade. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit and Chicken Kabobs)
- Per serving:
- 374 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 59 mg chol.,
- 462 mg sodium,
- 54 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBarbecue Chicken Recipes, Boneless Chicken, Boneless Chicken Recipes, Chicken Breast Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Diabetic Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Fourth of July Recipes, Grilled Chicken Recipes, Grilling Recipes, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Marinades and Rubs, Quick and Easy Dinners, Rice and Grains Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes