Drumsticks with Peas and Rice
- Sprinkle chicken with salt. In 12-inch skillet cook chicken in hot butter and oil over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, turning often. Using tongs, remove chicken, keeping butter and oil in skillet. Set chicken aside.
- Add onions, shallot, garlic, and bay leaf to skillet Cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring to scrape up browned bits.
- Return chicken to pan. Sprinkle with thyme and pepper. Add wine and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 45 to 60 minutes or until tender, spooning juices over chicken. Remove chicken. Cover; keep warm. Simmer onion mixture in pan, uncovered, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf.
- To serve, transfer chicken to platter. Sprinkle with mint. Serve with onion mixture and Peas and Rice. Makes 4 servings.
Peas and Rice
- In saucepan cook peas in boiling salted water, covered, until tender (10 minutes for fresh, 3 minutes for frozen). Drain. Plunge in ice water; drain. In 12-inch skillet cook green onions in melted butter for 1 minute. Add cooked peas, mint leaves, salt, and sugar. Cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in rice and reduced-sodium chicken broth or water; heat through.
Nutrition Facts (Drumsticks with Peas and Rice)
- Per serving:
- 691 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 12 g monounsatured fat),
- 164 mg chol.,
- 874 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 38 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet