Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- In a large skillet place chicken, chicken broth, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 12 to 14 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Drain well. When cool enough to handle, using 2 forks, pull meat apart into shreds. (You should have about 3 cups). Set aside.
- If using fresh spinach, place spinach in a steamer basket over boiling water. Reduce heat. Steam, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes or till tender. (Or, cook in a small amount of boiling water, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.) Drain well.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, cooked fresh spinach or thawed and drained frozen spinach, and the 1/4 cup green onion; set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together sour cream, yogurt, flour, salt, and cumin until smooth. Stir in milk and chili peppers. Divide sauce in half. Set 1 portion aside.
- For filling, combine 1 portion of the sauce and the chicken mixture. Divide filling among tortillas. Roll up tortillas. Place, seam side down, in two ungreased 2-quart-rectangular baking dishes. Divide remaining sauce evenly between the two casseroles.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees F oven about 25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, if desired.
- To serve, garnish with chopped tomato or salsa and additional green onion, if desired. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
One or both casseroles may be chilled or frozen. Prepare enchiladas as directed through step 5, except do not spoon sauce over the casserole(s) to be chilled; add sauce to casserole(s) to be frozen. Transfer sauce to an airtight container; cover and chill in the refrigerator. Cover the baking dish and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. To bake, spoon the reserved portion of sauce over the chilled enchiladas. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees oven about 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve as above.
For frozen casserole, thaw enchiladas overnight in refrigerator. Bake casserole, covered, in a 350 degrees oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand for 5 minutes. Serve as above.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Chicken Enchiladas)
- Per serving:
- 287 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 460 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.