Creamy Basil Chicken
- In 5- or 6-quart slow cooker stir together mushrooms, sweet peppers, onion, bacon, and garlic. Sprinkle with tapioca. Place chicken on top of mixture in cooker. Pour broth and wine over all.
- Cover; cook on high-heat setting 3 to 3-1/2 hours or low-heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
- Meanwhile, snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. Cut into 2 to 3-inch lengths. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in asparagus, cream, and the 1/2 cup fresh basil. Cover; cook 30 minutes more.
- Reserve four chicken breast halves to prepare Chicken and Wild Rice Chowder; store as directed below.* Serve remaining chicken, vegetables, and sauce with orzo. Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings plus additional chicken for Chicken and Wild Rice Chowder.
From the Test Kitchen
* To store chicken breast halves, wrap tightly and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Basil Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 556 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 132 mg chol.,
- 892 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 47 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Eileen Hawthorne 512 Days Ago
I'm wondering if there are directions for making this in the oven. It looks so delicious but I need to make enough for 12 so my crockpot isn't big enough.