Creamy Basil Chicken and Vegetables
- In 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, combine mushrooms, sweet peppers, onion, pancetta, and garlic. Sprinkle with tapioca. Place chicken on top of mixture in cooker. Pour broth and wine over all.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, snap off and discard woody bases from fresh asparagus. If desired, scrape off scales. Cut into 2-inch lengths. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in asparagus, cream, and the 1/2 cup fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil. Cover; cook for 30 minutes more.
- Reserve and store* four of the chicken breast halves and use for Chicken and Wild Rice Chowder (see recipe below). Serve remaining chicken and all of the vegetables and sauce with hot cooked orzo. Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons fresh basil, the Parmesan cheese and, if desired, toasted pine nuts. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Place chicken breast halves in an airtight container; seal. Chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.
In a large saucepan, cook 1 cup sliced carrots; 1 cup sliced celery; and 1 cup quartered mushrooms in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Add two 14-ounce cans chicken broth; 3/4 cup cooked wild rice; and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook and stir until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream and 2 tablespoons dry sherry, if using; heat through. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per 2 cups of Chicken and Wild Rice Chowder: 445 cal., 22 g total fat (13 g sat. fat), 140 mg chol., 1019 mg sodium, 21 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 40 g protein.
Nutrition Facts(Creamy Basil Chicken and Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 556 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 132 mg chol.,
- 892 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 47 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet