- Makes: 4 servings
- Yields: 4 servings + reserves
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs to 9 hrs (low) or 4 to 4 1/2 hours (high)
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine sweet peppers and onion. Sprinkle with tapioca. Top with chicken. In a medium bowl stir together undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, chipotle peppers, sugar, and salt. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
- Reserve four thighs, four drumsticks, and 1 cup of sauce; store* as directed below. Serve with Chicken Wraps with Lime Cream (recipe below). Heat potatoes according to package directions; serve with remaining chicken and sauce. Makes 4 servings + reserves.
Remove meat from drumsticks and thighs; discard bones. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Place shredded meat and sauce in separate airtight containers. Seal and chill for up to 3 days. Use in Chicken Wraps with Lime Cream (see recipe below).
In a large skillet, heat reserved shredded chicken and sauce over medium heat until heated through. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup mayonnaise; 1/4 cup dairy sour cream; 1 tablespoon lime juice; and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Warm four 10-inch flour tortillas according to package directions. Place a lettuce leaf on each tortilla. Using a slotted spoon, spoon chicken mixture onto tortillas, just below the center. Top each with 2 tablespoons of sour cream mixture and, if desired, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons snipped, fresh cilantro. Fold bottom edge of a tortilla up and over filling. Fold one side in slightly, then roll up from the bottom. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve wraps with lime wedges. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving of Chicken Wraps with Lime Cream: 486 cal., 23 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 146 mg chol., 688 mg sodium, 28 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 39 g protein.
- 477 kcal cal.;
- 9 g Fat, total;
- 136 mg chol.;
- 2 g sat. fat;
- 52 g carb.;
- 4 g fiber;
- 43 g pro.;
- 1110 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet