- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 medium red sweet peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 - 3 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (see tip, page ??)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 16 ounce package refrigerated mashed potatoes
1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine sweet peppers and onion. Sprinkle with tapioca. Top with chicken. In a medium bowl stir together undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, chipotle peppers, sugar, and salt. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
3. Reserve four thighs, four drumsticks, and 1 cup of sauce; store* as directed below. Serve with Chicken Wraps with Lime Cream (recipe below). Heat potatoes according to package directions; serve with remaining chicken and sauce. Makes 4 servings + reserves.
- Remove meat from drumsticks and thighs; discard bones. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Place shredded meat and sauce in separate airtight containers. Seal and chill for up to 3 days. Use in Chicken Wraps with Lime Cream (see recipe below).
- In a large skillet, heat reserved shredded chicken and sauce over medium heat until heated through. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup mayonnaise; 1/4 cup dairy sour cream; 1 tablespoon lime juice; and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Warm four 10-inch flour tortillas according to package directions. Place a lettuce leaf on each tortilla. Using a slotted spoon, spoon chicken mixture onto tortillas, just below the center. Top each with 2 tablespoons of sour cream mixture and, if desired, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons snipped, fresh cilantro. Fold bottom edge of a tortilla up and over filling. Fold one side in slightly, then roll up from the bottom. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve wraps with lime wedges. Makes 4 servings.
- Nutrition Facts per serving of Chicken Wraps with Lime Cream: 486 cal., 23 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 146 mg chol., 688 mg sodium, 28 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 39 g protein.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 477,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- chol. (mg) 136,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 52,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 43,
- sodium (mg) 1110,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet