Chicken with Sourdough-Mushroom Stuffing
Nonstick cooking spray
tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
tablespoon ground sage
tablespoon seasoned salt
teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
small chicken legs (thigh-drumstick piece), skinned (about 5 pounds)
cups quartered or sliced fresh cremini, baby portobello, shiitake, and/or button mushrooms
cloves garlic, thinly sliced
cups sourdough baguette cut into 1-inch pieces (about 10 oz.)
cup coarsely shredded carrot
cup chicken broth
cup chopped walnuts, toasted
tablespoons snipped flat leaf Italian parsley
- Lightly coat the inside of a 5-1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Reserve 1 teaspoon of the lemon peel. In a small bowl combine remaining lemon peel, sage, seasoned salt and pepper. Remove 3/4 of the mixture and rub onto chicken legs. Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet; add mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until just tender. Stir in remaining sage mixture. Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl. Add bread cubes, and shredded carrot. Drizzle with chicken broth, tossing gently.
- Lightly pack stuffing on top of chicken. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer stuffing and chicken to a platter.
- In a bowl combine reserved lemon peel, walnuts, and parsley; sprinkle over chicken. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken with Sourdough-Mushroom Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 412 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 146 mg chol.,
- 1450 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 39 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet