Chicken with Pan Sauce
This main-dish recipe boasts four easy and delicious variations. What kind of mood are you in tonight?
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: breast half + 2 tablespoons of sauce
- Start to Finish: 35 mins
Chicken with Pan Sauce
- Place a chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound the chicken lightly to about 1/4 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook chicken for 6 to 8 minutes or until no longer pink, turning once. Transfer chicken to a platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add wine, broth, and shallot to the hot skillet. Cook and stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to boiling. Boil gently for 10 to 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup*. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in cream. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until butter is melted after each addition. Sauce should be slightly thickened. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve sauce over chicken.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except stir 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice and 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme, chervil, or parsley into the finished sauce.
Prepare as above, except stir 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar and 2 teaspoons drained capers into the finished sauce.
Prepare as above, except stir 1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian parsley and 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard into the finished sauce.
Prepare as above through step 1. In a large skillet cook 1 cup sliced fresh shiitake, porcini, or button mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat until tender. Remove mushrooms from skillet. Continue as directed in step 2, using the same skillet. Add cooked mushrooms along with 2 tablespoons snipped, drained oil-packed dried tomatoes with the cream. There will be only 3 tablespoons of butter to add in step 4. Stir 2 teaspoons snipped fresh basil or parsley into the finished sauce.
It is important to reduce the liquid to 1/4 cup in step 3 or the sauce will be too thin.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken with Pan Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 325 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 117 mg chol.,
- 444 mg sodium,
- 2 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 27 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet