- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery (4 stalks)
- 2 cups chopped onion (2 large)
- 1 14 1/2ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 6 ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste (1/3 cup)
- 1 Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning or 1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 3/4 cup chopped green, red, and/or yellow sweet pepper
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined cooked shrimp*
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Celery leaves (optional)
1. Cut chicken into 3/4-inch pieces. In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, celery, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning, garlic, and salt.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours.
3. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in uncooked rice and sweet pepper. Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
4. Before serving, thaw shrimp, if frozen. Stir shrimp and parsley into chicken mixture. If desired, garnish each serving with celery leaves.
- If desired, leave the tails on the shrimp.
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. In a small bowl stir together onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 211,
- Fat, total (g) 2,
- chol. (mg) 88,
- carb. (g) 26,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 23,
- sodium (mg) 415,
- Vegetables () 2,
- Starch () 1,
- Very Lean Meat () 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet