- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 8 1/2-inch slices hearty multigrain or ciabatta bread
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise dressing or salad dressing
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced or shredded purchased deli-roasted chicken
- 1/2 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat an electric sandwich press, a covered indoor grill, a grill pan, or a 12-inch skillet. To assemble sandwiches, spread one side of each bread slice with the mayonnaise. Layer basil, chicken, and roasted sweet peppers on 4 of the bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices, mayonnaise sides down. Brush both sides of each sandwich with oil.
2. Place sandwiches (half at a time, if necessary) in the sandwich press or indoor grill; cover and cook about 6 minutes or until bread is toasted. (If using a grill pan or skillet, place sandwiches on grill pan. Weight sandwiches down* and grill about 2 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted. Turn sandwiches over, weight down, and grill until remaining side is lightly toasted.) Makes 4 sandwiches.
- Place a heavy skillet or pie plate with a can of vegetables on top of sandwiches to weight down.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread 1/2 cup whole cranberry sauce on 8-1/2-inch-thick slices sourdough bread. Top 4 bread slices evenly with 4 ounces sliced cooked ham;2 ounces sliced Brie cheese; and 1/2 of a tart apple, cored and thinly sliced. Top with remaining bread slices, cranberry sauce sides down. Brush with olive oil and cook as directed above.
- To assemble sandwiches, spoon 1-1/2 cups chopped pickled mixed vegetables (giardiniera) or 1 pint marinated vegetable deli salad, drained and chopped (1-1/2 cups) onto the bottoms of 4 onion rolls. Top evenly with 4 ounces deli-sliced pastrami and 2 ounces sliced provolone cheese. Add roll tops. Brush with olive oil and cook as directed above.
- In a medium bowl, stir together two 7.1-ounce packages tuna (water pack), drained; one 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed; 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing; and 2 cloves garlic, minced. Spread tuna mixture on four 1/2-inch slices country Italian bread. Top with 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, 1 thinly sliced tomato, and 4 ounces sliced Havarti or mozzarella cheese. Top each with another bread slice. Brush with oil and cook as directed above.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 347,
- Fat, total (g) 18,
- chol. (mg) 53,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 30,
- fiber (g) 9,
- pro. (g) 22,
- sodium (mg) 315,
- Potassium (mg) 230,
- calcium (mg) 222,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet