Chicken Osso Buco
Although osso buco usually features veal shanks, the chicken drumsticks used in this recipe make a tasty substitute.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Cook: 5 hrs to 6 hrs (low) 2-1/2 to 3 hours (high)
Chicken Osso Buco
medium chicken drumsticks (about 3 pounds)
teaspoon ground black pepper
tablespoons olive oil
cup chopped carrot
cup chopped onion
cup chopped celery
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
8 ounce can tomato sauce
cup dry white wine or chicken broth
cup chicken broth
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
tablespoon lemon juice
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
cups dried penne pasta
Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- Remove skin from chicken. Place flour, salt, and pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at time, shaking to coat. In a 10-inch skillet, brown chicken, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat about 10 minutes or until golden, turning once. Set aside.
- In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine carrot, onion, celery, and garlic. Sprinkle with tapioca. Place chicken on top of vegetables. In a medium bowl, stir together tomato sauce, wine, broth, lemon peel, lemon juice, and thyme; pour over chicken in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Prepare penne according to package directions. Drain well. Spoon chicken and sauce over pasta. If desired, garnish with snipped parsley. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Osso Buco)
- Per serving:
- 407 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 98 mg chol.,
- 529 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesChicken and Pasta Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Ethnic Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Italian Chicken Recipes, Italian Recipes, Low Cholesterol Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Pasta Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Soup Recipes, Stew and Chowder Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes