- In a shallow bowl stir together flour, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Place a chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound chicken lightly to about 1/4 inch thick . Remove plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining chicken breast halves. Lightly coat chicken on both sides with flour mixture; shake off excess.
- In a large skillet cook mushrooms and green onion in 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat until tender; remove from skillet. In the same skillet cook chicken in remaining 2 tablespoons butter for 5 to 6 minutes, turning to brown evenly.
- Remove skillet from heat. Return mushrooms and green onion to skillet. Carefully add broth and Marsala to skillet. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Season sauce to taste with additional salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Spoon mushroom mixture over chicken. If desired, serve over pasta.
- Makes 4 servings
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed above except, substitute 12 ounces veal scallopini for the chicken. Cook the veal in the 2 tablespoons hot butter for 2 to 3 minutes or until light brown, turning once halfway through cooking time. If necessary, cook half of the veal at a time. Continue as directed in step 3.
Nutrition Facts per scallopini: 260 cal., 12 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 91 mg chol., 313 mg sodium, 10 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 21 g pro.
Daily Values: 7% vit. A, 2% vit. C, 2% calcium, 9% iron
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 2 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 3 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Marsala)
- Per serving:
- 298 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 90 mg chol. ,
- 329 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 30 g pro.