Nobody can resist this classic main dish of boneless chicken rolls stuffed with butter and a green onion mixture, then breaded, fried, and baked to a golden brown.
- In a small bowl combine green onion, parsley, and garlic; set aside. Cut chilled butter into four 2-1/2x1/2-inch sticks. In a shallow bowl stir together egg and water. Place flour in another shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Place a chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet pound chicken lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with one-fourth of the green onion mixture. Place a butter piece in center of chicken piece. Fold in sides; roll up. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Coat chicken rolls with flour. Dip in egg mixture; coat with bread crumbs. Dip in egg mixture again; coat with with additional bread crumbs. (Coat ends well to seal in the butter.) Place coated chicken in 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Cover and chill for 1 to 24 hours.
- In a large skillet melt the 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; add oil. Add chilled chicken rolls. Cook about 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning to brown all sides. Place rolls in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Spoon any drippings over rolls. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Cheesy Chicken Rolls:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 2 1/2x1/2-inch sticks of caraway, blue, Gruyere, or cheddar cheese for the butter. If using caraway or blue cheese, omit the parsley. If using Gruyere cheese, substitute 2 teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon for the parsley. If using cheddar cheese, substitute 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme for the parsley.
Nutrition Facts per roll: 328 cal., 15 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 142 mg chol., 479 mg sodium, 13 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 33 g pro.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Kiev)
- Per serving:
- 377 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 160 mg chol.,
- 499 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet