- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup dry garbanzo beans
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices, or 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup shredded fresh spinach or escarole
1. Rinse the garbanzo beans; place in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or place beans in water in a large saucepan. Cover and let soak in a cool place overnight.) Drain and rinse beans.
2. Rinse chicken. Place chicken and beans in a 3 1/2-, 4-, or 5-quart crockery cooker. Add carrots, fennel or celery, onion, dried marjoram and thyme (if using), bouillon granules, salt, and pepper. Pour water over all.
3. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove the chicken; cool slightly. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces. Return to cooker. Add the spinach or escarole and, if using, the fresh marjoram and thyme. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
4. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 205,
- Fat, total (g) 4,
- chol. (mg) 40,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 23,
- fiber (g) 9,
- pro. (g) 20,
- vit. A (IU) 7240,
- vit. C (mg) 7,
- sodium (mg) 625,
- calcium (mg) 61,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet