- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 mins to 1 hr 20 mins soak for one hour
Chicken & Garbanzo Bean Soup
cup dry garbanzo beans
pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
cups sliced carrots
medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices, or 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
large onion, chopped
tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
cup shredded fresh spinach or escarole
- Rinse the garbanzo beans; place in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or place beans in water in a large saucepan. Cover and let soak in a cool place overnight.) Drain and rinse beans.
- Rinse chicken. Place chicken and beans in a 3 1/2-, 4-, or 5-quart crockery cooker. Add carrots, fennel or celery, onion, dried marjoram and thyme (if using), bouillon granules, salt, and pepper. Pour water over all.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove the chicken; cool slightly. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces. Return to cooker. Add the spinach or escarole and, if using, the fresh marjoram and thyme. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken & Garbanzo Bean Soup)
- 205 kcal cal.;
- 4 g Fat, total;
- 40 mg chol.;
- 1 g sat. fat;
- 23 g carb.;
- 9 g fiber;
- 20 g pro.;
- 7240 IU vit. A;
- 7 mg vit. C;
- 3 mg iron;
- 61 mg calcium;
- 625 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet