- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 16 ounce can tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 2 ounce jar sliced pimiento, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Empanadilla Pastry (see recipe below)
- 1 egg
- Salsa (optional)
1. In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender but not brown. Add tomatoes, chicken , ham, green pepper, pimiento, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Cool. Cover; chill 1 hour.
2. Roll half of the Empanadilla Pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 3-inch circles. Place about 2 teaspoons chicken mixture on one half of each circle. Fold other half of circle over filling. Crimp edges. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets. Brush tops with egg. Repeat with remaining pastry. If desired, cut decorative shapes from dough scraps. Place dough shapes on baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes for empanadillas and 10 to 15 minutes for shapes or until golden brown. Top each empanadilla with a little salsa and a pastry shape. Serve warm. Makes about 40.
- Prepare as directed above; place on ungreased baking sheets. Cover; chill 3 to 4 hours. Brush tops with egg. Bake as directed.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lard or shortening
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup cold water
1. Stir together flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in lard or shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over part of mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat until all is moistened. Form into a ball. Roll and fill as directed above.