- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 3 ounces chicken + 1/2 cup vegetables
- Start to Finish: 1 hr
pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks)
tablespoons olive oil
cups sliced fresh mushrooms
medium onion, sliced
clove garlic, minced
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
6 ounce can tomato paste
cup dry white wine
teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
teaspoon black pepper
tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
Hot cooked fettuccine or linguine (optional)
- Skin chicken. In a large skillet brown chicken on all sides in hot oil over medium heat about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet, reserving drippings in skillet; set chicken aside.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to drippings in skillet. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Return chicken to skillet.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour over chicken in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks), turning once during cooking. Sprinkle with parsley. If desired, serve over hot cooked pasta. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Cacciatore)
- Per serving:
- 280 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 63 g monounsatured fat),
- 77 mg chol.,
- 396 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet