- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup dry great northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1. Rinse beans; drain. In a large saucepan, combine beans and the 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
2. Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2-, 4-, or 5-quart crockery cooker, combine onion, fennel, carrots, garlic, parsley, rosemary, and pepper. Place beans atop vegetables. Pour chicken broth over all.
3. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
4. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in chicken and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer or until heated through on high-heat setting. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 426,
- Fat, total (g) 10,
- chol. (mg) 78,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 46,
- fiber (g) 15,
- pro. (g) 40,
- sodium (mg) 1454,
- Vegetables () 2,
- Starch () 3,
- Lean Meat () 4,
- Fat () 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet