Chicken and Vegetable Bean Soup
cup dry great northern beans
cup chopped onion
medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
medium carrots, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
cups chicken broth
cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Rinse beans; drain. In a large saucepan, combine beans and the 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2-, 4-, or 5-quart crockery cooker, combine onion, fennel, carrots, garlic, parsley, rosemary, and pepper. Place beans atop vegetables. Pour chicken broth over all.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in chicken and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer or until heated through on high-heat setting. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken and Vegetable Bean Soup)
- Per serving:
- 426 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 78 mg chol.,
- 1454 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 15 g fiber,
- 40 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet