- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 slices Italian bread, 1-inch bias-cut
- 1/4 cup semisoft cheese with herbs or semisoft goat cheese (chevre)
- 1 cup roasted red sweet peppers (about one 7-ounce jar), cut into strips
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, watercress, or baby spinach leaves
1. For marinade, in a small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, thyme, salt, and crushed red pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoons of mixture; set aside.
2. Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap; pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to about 1/2-inch thickness. Place in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Add remaining marinade; seal bag. Marinate at room temperature about 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour.
3. Lightly grease the rack of an indoor electric grill or lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Place chicken on the grill rack. If using a covered grill, close the lid. Grill until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees degrees F). For a covered grill, allow 3 to 4 minutes. For an uncovered grill, allow 8 to 10 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling.
4. Brush cut sides of bread with reserved marinade. Place bread, cut sides down, on grill rack. If using a covered grill, close the lid. Grill until lightly toasted. For a covered grill, allow 1 to 2 minutes. For an uncovered grill, allow 2 to 4 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling. Remove bread from grill.
5. To serve, place a chicken breast on each grilled bread slice. Spread with cheese. Top each sandwich with sweet pepper and basil. Makes 4 sandwiches.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 418,
- Fat, total (g) 20,
- chol. (mg) 82,
- sat. fat (g) 5,
- carb. (g) 21,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 37,
- vit. A (IU) 243,
- vit. C (mg) 105,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 629,
- calcium (mg) 50,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Vegetables () 1,
- Starch () 1,
- Very Lean Meat () 5,
- Fat () 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet