Chicken and Biscuits
Your family will love this slow cooker recipe version of chicken and cheesy biscuits. The red potatoes, carrots, celery, and peas in the sauce make it a complete meal.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Cook: 6 hrs to 7 hrs (low) or 3-3.5 hours (high)
Chicken and Biscuits
cups chopped round red potato (2 medium)
cup coarsely chopped carrot (2 medium)
cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
cup coarsely chopped celery (1 medium)
4 ounce can (drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon dried sage, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
pound bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
cup chicken broth
cup frozen peas
ounce cream cheese, cut up
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine potato, carrot, onion, celery, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle tapioca over the mixture. Top with chicken thighs. Pour broth over all.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and coarsely chop; discard bones. Return meat to slow cooker along with peas and cream cheese. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir well; serve with Cheesy Biscuits. Makes 6 servings.
cups packaged biscuit mix
cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine biscuit mix and cheese. Stir in milk. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 10 times. Pat into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. With a floured 3-inch biscuit cutter cut into rounds. Reroll scraps as needed. Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 369 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 63 mg chol.,
- 927 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet