cup uncooked long grain rice
tablespoons vegetable oil
pound boneless meat (such as chicken, turkey, beef, or pork), cut into 1-inch cubes, or ground meat (such as beef, pork, turkey, chicken, or sausage)
10 3/4 ounce can condensed soup (such as cream of chicken, cream of broccoli, cream of mushroom, nacho cheese, or tomato)
cup milk or water
teaspoon dried herb (such as Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, sage, or rosemary), crushed, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
cups packaged cornbread stuffing mix, coarsely crushed
tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- In a small saucepan, bring the 1 cup water to boiling. Add rice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In an extra-large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add meat; cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown and cooked through. If necessary, drain off and discard fat. Remove meat from skillet; set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add vegetables. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in cooked meat, cooked rice, soup, milk, and herb; heat through. Spoon hot mixture into a 2-quart casserole.
- In a medium bowl, combine stuffing mix and butter. Sprinkle stuffing mix mixture over meat-vegetable mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and topping is golden. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Catchall Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 553 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 111 mg chol.,
- 1155 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet