Similar to the familiar Italian classic recipe, this meal-in-a-pot is brimming with onions, mushrooms, and herb-seasoned tomatoes.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 6 hrs to 7 hrs (low) or 3 to 3-1/2 hours (high)
cups sliced fresh mushrooms
cup sliced celery
cup chopped carrot
medium onions, cut into wedges
yellow, green, or red sweet pepper, cut into strips
cloves garlic, minced
chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 3-1/2 pounds total)
cup chicken broth
cup dry white wine
tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
cup tomato paste
Hot cooked pasta or rice
Shredded basil (optional)
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine mushrooms, celery, carrot, onions, sweet pepper, and garlic. Place chicken drumsticks on vegetables. Add broth, wine, tapioca, bay leaves, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in undrained tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more. To serve, spoon vegetable mixture over chicken and pasta. If desired, garnish with basil. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Cacciatore-Style Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 345 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 81 mg chol.,
- 606 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 32 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet