Chicken and ham make a main dish stew that simmers all day in a slow cooker.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs 45 mins to 10 hrs 45 mins low or 4 3/4 to 5 3/4 hours on high
medium onions, cut into thin wedges
pounds meaty chicken pieces, skinned
cups diced cooked ham (8 ounces)
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
14 ounce can chicken broth
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
teaspoon dry mustard
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
10 ounce package frozen sliced okra (2 cups)
cup frozen baby lima beans
cup frozen whole kernel corn
- In a 3-1/2- to 4-quart crockery cooker place onion. Top with chicken and ham. In a small bowl combine undrained tomatoes, broth, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, thyme, pepper, and hot pepper sauce; pour over chicken and ham.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- If desired, remove chicken; cool slightly. (Keep lid on the crockery cooker.) Remove meat from chicken bones; cut meat into bite-size pieces. Return chicken to crockery cooker; discard bones.
- Add okra, lima beans, and corn to crcokery cooker. If using low-heat setting turn to high-heat setting. Cover and cook 45 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. Makes 6 servings.