Chicken thighs and drumsticks cooked in a robust barbecue sauce make for a tasty and economical dinner.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 10 hrs to 12 hrs (low) or 5 to 6 hours (high)
medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
large green sweet pepper, cut into strips
medium onion, sliced
tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
pounds chicken thighs or drumsticks, skinned and fat removed
8 ounce can tomato sauce
tablespoons packed brown sugar
tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
tablespoon yellow mustard
clove garlic, minced
- In a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker place the potatoes, sweet pepper, and onion. Sprinkle tapioca over potato mixture. Place chicken on top of the vegetables. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, and salt. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to a large serving bowl. Skim fat from sauce. Spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables. Makes 4 to 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Barbecue-Style Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 282 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 107 mg chol.,
- 670 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet