Baked Chicken Chiles Rellenos
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
teaspoon ground red pepper
4 ounce can whole green chile peppers, rinsed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise (6 pieces total)
ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into six 2x1/2-inch sticks
teaspoon black pepper
tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
8 ounce jar green or red salsa
Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Place a chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound meat lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick Remove plastic wrap.
- In a shallow dish combine the flour, cornmeal, and ground red pepper. Place egg in another shallow dish; add water and beat lightly to combine.
- For each roll, place a chile pepper half on a chicken piece near an edge. Place a cheese stick on the chile pepper near an edge. Sprinkle with some of the cilantro or parsley and black pepper. Fold in sides; roll up, starting from edge with cheese. Secure with wooden toothpicks.
- Dip rolls in egg mixture; coat with cornmeal mixture. Place rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking pan. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Remove toothpicks. Meanwhile, heat salsa; serve over chicken. If desired, garnish with additional cilantro. Makes: 6 servings
Nutrition Facts(Baked Chicken Chiles Rellenos)
- Per serving:
- 260 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 120 mg chol.,
- 381 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet