Apple-and-Wild Rice-Stuffed Chicken
6 ounce package long grain and wild rice mix
ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (3 cups)
medium cooking apples (such as Granny Smith or Jonathan), cored and chopped
cup shredded carrot
cup thinly sliced green onions
5 pound whole roasting chicken
tablespoons apple jelly, melted
Apple wedges (optional)
- For stuffing, cook rice according to package directions, except add mushrooms, chopped apples, shredded carrot, green onions, and pepper to rice before cooking.
- Spoon some of the stuffing loosely into the chicken's neck cavity. Skewer neck skin to back. Lightly spoon the remaining stuffing into the body cavity. Tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into the center of an inside thigh muscle, making sure bulb does not touch bone. Roast, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven for 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 180 degree F. At this time, drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink. When the bird is two-thirds done, cut the string between the legs so thighs will cook evenly. Brush chicken with melted jelly once or twice during the last 10 minutes of roasting.
- Remove the chicken from oven. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Spoon some of the stuffing around the chicken. If desired, garnish with apple wedges. Pass the remaining stuffing. Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Apple-and-Wild Rice-Stuffed Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 332 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 93 mg chol.,
- 365 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet