- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 30 mins 350°F
- Stand: 5 mins
Chicken Taco Casserole
Nonstick cooking spray
ounces chicken breast strips for stir-frying
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon chili powder
teaspoons canola oil
medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
cup chopped red or green sweet pepper (1 medium)
10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
cups purchased salsa
6 inches corn tortillas, coarsely torn
ounces reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
cup cherry tomatoes, quartered or chopped (optional)
of an avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped (optional)
Corn chips, baked tortilla chips, or broken taco shells (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl toss together chicken, garlic, and chili powder. Add to hot skillet. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- Add canola oil to skillet. Add onion and sweet pepper. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach.
- Coat a 2-quart square baking dish with cooking spray. Spread about 1/2 cup of the salsa in the baking dish. Top with half of the tortilla pieces, half of the chicken mixture, and half of the vegetable mixture. Pour half of the remaining salsa over the vegetables and top with half of the cheese. Repeat layers once, except do not top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with cherry tomatoes, chopped avocado, and/or corn chips.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Taco Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 196 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 43 mg chol.,
- 544 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet