Chicken Soup with Chive Dumplings
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven cook chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown on both sides. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, for 7 to 9 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170F). Remove chicken; cool.
- Add carrots, celery, and leek to Dutch oven. Cook, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Return chicken to Dutch oven. Add stock, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, in a medium bowl stir together flour, chives, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until combined.
- Remove thyme and bay leaf from soup. Stir in parsley; season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Bring to boiling. Drop dumpling dough mounds onto hot bubbling soup. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, about 10 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted in centers of dumplings comes out clean.
From the Test Kitchen
To make a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken stock and omit the chicken.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Soup with Chive Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 334 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 62 mg chol.,
- 1260 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet