Chicken Soup with Chive Dumplings
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total)
Ground black pepper
tablespoons olive oil
cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
cup chopped leeks (1 medium)
cups chicken stock
sprigs fresh thyme
tablespoon snipped fresh chives
teaspoons baking powder
tablespoons cold butter
cup snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven cook chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown on both sides. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, for 7 to 9 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170F). Remove chicken; cool.
- Add carrots, celery, and leek to Dutch oven. Cook, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Return chicken to Dutch oven. Add stock, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, in a medium bowl stir together flour, chives, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until combined.
- Remove thyme and bay leaf from soup. Stir in parsley; season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Bring to boiling. Drop dumpling dough mounds onto hot bubbling soup. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, about 10 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted in centers of dumplings comes out clean.
From the Test Kitchen
To make a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken stock and omit the chicken.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken Soup with Chive Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 334 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 62 mg chol.,
- 1260 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet