- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Grill: 10 mins
Chicken Skewers and Grilled Pineapple
cup sweet-and-sour sauce*
tablespoons snipped fresh Thai basil or basil
teaspoon Thai seasoning or five-spice powder
clove garlic, minced
tablespoon packed brown sugar (optional)*
tablespoon butter, melted
small fresh pineapple
Nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil
pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
cups hot cooked rice (optional)
Fresh Thai basil or basil shreds (optional)
Fresh chile peppers, sliced (optional)
- For Thai sauce, in a small bowl combine sweet-and-sour sauce, snipped basil, Thai seasoning, and garlic. Reserve 1/4 cup of the sauce to use for basting. Stir brown sugar (if desired) and melted butter into the remaining sauce; cover and set aside.
- Cut ends off pineapple, exposing the flesh. Cut pineapple in half lengthwise; cut each half crosswise into four slices. Lightly coat pineapple slices with cooking spray or brush with oil. Set aside.
- Thread chicken onto four 10- to 12-inch metal skewers, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- For a charcoal grill, grill skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning occasionally and brushing with the 1/4 cup reserved sauce during the first half of grilling. Discard any remaining reserved sauce. Grill pineapple slices for 6 to 8 minutes or until warm and grill marks appear, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place skewers then pineapple on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.)
- Serve chicken and pineapple with the reserved Thai sauce and hot cooked rice, if desired. If desired, garnish with basil shreds and chile pepper slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Bottled sweet-and-sour sauces vary in sweetness and thickness. If you use a less sweet sauce, add the brown sugar to the Thai sauce. If you use a thick sweet-and-sour sauce, adjust the consistency of the Thai sauce by adding a little water.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Skewers and Grilled Pineapple)
- 269 kcal cal.;
- 5 g Fat, total;
- 73 mg chol.;
- 2 g sat. fat;
- 29 g carb.;
- 1 g Monosaturated fat;
- 1 g fiber;
- 26 g sugar;
- 27 g pro.;
- 333 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet