Chicken Pot Pie for Two
For the crust dough:
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of the whole wheat flour. In a food processor combine the remaining whole wheat flour, the egg, vegetable oil spread, and baking powder. Cover and process just until combined. Add enough ice water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to make mixture that forms a loose dough and holds together when pinched. Remove dough from processor; knead dough a few times by hand and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing filling.
For the filling:
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms, and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or just until softened. Sprinkle the reserved 1 tablespoon flour over vegetables; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Add chicken broth all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- In a small bowl stir together thyme, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; set aside a small pinch of the thyme mixture. Add the remaining thyme mixture to the vegetable mixture. Stir in chicken, yogurt, peas, and parsley until combined.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly between two 8-ounce ramekins or individual casserole dishes or two 10-ounce custard cups.*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper; set aside. Remove dough from refrigerator. Divide dough in half. Roll out each half until circle is just slightly larger than the circumference of a ramekin. Place dough circles on top of the filling in the ramekins; tuck edges under, pressing down slightly along each edge to secure. Make a few small slits or a 1/2-inch opening in the crust to allow for steam to escape.
- Brush the egg white over crusts; sprinkle with the reserved pinch of seasoning mixture. Place ramekins on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If desired, divide chicken mixture among two 8-ounce oven-going coffee mugs (shallow and wide work best). Continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Pot Pie for Two)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 45 mg chol.,
- 584 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Mike Spurgeon 767 Days Ago