This cozy casserole is inspired by hearty chicken noodle soup. Perfect for a hearty weeknight dinner, this delicious dish is ready to eat in just over an hour and is sure to please everyone in your family.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Bake: 30 mins 375°F
stalks celery, chopped
medium onion, chopped
tablespoon vegetable oil
pounds chicken legs and/or thighs
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
12 ounce package jumbo or extra-large egg noodles
8 ounce container sour cream dip, cheddar French onion dip, or French onion dip
Nonstick cooking spray
tablespoons fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a Dutch oven cook two-thirds of the celery and two-thirds of the onion in hot oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add chicken, pepper, thyme, and salt; cook for 2 minutes. Add 6 cups of water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes until chicken is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, for topping, tear bread in small pieces. Finely chop remaining celery and onion. In a small bowl toss together the bread, celery and onion; set aside.
- With a slotted spoon transfer chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly. Add noodles to simmering broth; boil gently for 7 to 8 minutes, just until tender, stirring occasionally. With a slotted spoon transfer noodles, celery, and onion to a 3-quart baking dish.
- For sauce, in a bowl whisk together sour cream dip and flour. Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the hot broth until smooth. Add sauce to broth in Dutch oven; cook and stir until boiling.
- Meanwhile, discard skin and bones from chicken. Chop chicken, then add to noodles in dish. Gently stir in sauce. Sprinkle with topping, then lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes until casserole is heated through and topping begins to brown. Top with parsley just before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken-Noodle Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 400 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 147 mg chol.,
- 417 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet