Chicken Enchiladas Adobo
14 1/2 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
cup chopped sweet onion (1 medium)
canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
tablespoon canned adobo sauce (optional)
tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon chili powder
teaspoon kosher salt or 1/4 teaspoon regular salt
pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs, cut into bite-size strips
tablespoon vegetable oil
cup corn and black bean salsa
cup sour cream
teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
cup shredded Chihuahua cheese or Monterey Jack cheese (3 ounces)
cup sliced green onions (4)
2 1/4 ounce can sliced pitted ripe olives, drained
- Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. For sauce, in medium saucepan combine tomatoes, the water, sweet onion, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce (if desired), cilantro, cumin, chili powder, and half of the salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes; cool slightly. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- For filling, in a large skillet cook and stir chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain off fat. Stir in salsa, sour cream, lime peel, and the remaining salt.
- To assemble enchiladas, spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the filling onto each tortilla near an edge; roll up tortilla. Place enchiladas, seam sides down, on top of sauce in dish. (To serve today, spoon the remaining sauce over enchiladas. Cover baking dish with foil. Omit Steps 4 and 5. Continue as directed in Step 6.)
- Cover baking dish with foil. Transfer the remaining sauce to an airtight container; cover. Chill enchiladas and the remaining sauce for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, let enchiladas and the remaining sauce stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Spoon the remaining sauce over enchiladas. Re-cover baking dish with foil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes more or until heated through. Sprinkle with green onions and olives.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken Enchiladas Adobo)
- Per serving:
- 322 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 54 mg chol.,
- 912 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet