Chicken Crepes with Mole Amarillo
- Prepare Corn Crepes; set aside or cover and chill for up to 3 days.
- In a large bowl soak guajillo and ancho chile peppers in enough boiling water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain; remove and discard stems and seeds.*
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Place tomatillos, tomato, and onion slices in a shallow baking pan. Broil for 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 8 minutes or until vegetables are softened and lightly charred, turning once halfway through broiling time.
- In a blender or food processor combine soaked chile peppers, tomatillos, tomato, onion, garlic, cumin, allspice, and cloves. Cover and blend until smooth. Press mixture through a medium-mesh sieve; discard solids.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and the masa harina. Whisk masa mixture into the sauce mixture. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until thickened. If desired, thin sauce with additional chicken broth. Season to taste with salt.
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, finely chopped onion, 1/4 cup of the Manchego cheese, and 1 cup of the sauce. Divide chicken mixture among crepes. Roll up each crepe around chicken mixture. Arrange filled crepes in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with the remaining sauce and the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- In a blender or food processor, combine milk, flour, masa harina, eggs, and salt. Cover and blend or process until smooth, scraping sides as needed. With motor running, add melted butter in a steady stream through the opening in the lid, blending or processing until incorporated. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat a lightly greased 6-inch skillet over medium to medium-high heat; remove from heat. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the crepe batter into skillet; lift and tilt skillet to spread batter. Return to heat; brown crepe on one side about 1 minute, turn and brown briefly on the other side. Invert the crepe onto a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining batter, greasing skillet occasionally.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Crepes with Mole Amarillo)
- Per serving:
- 258 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 79 mg chol.,
- 358 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet