Chicken Breakfast Burritos
cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon ground cumin
cup diced cooked chicken or ham, or crumbled, cooked pork sausage patties or links
teaspoon ground black pepper
10 inches flour tortillas
4 ounce can diced green chile peppers, drained
cups shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese (5 ounces)
Red and/or green salsa
- For filling, in a large nonstick skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat until melted. Stir in potatoes, garlic, and cumin. Spread in an even layer; press down lightly with a spatula. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Turn potatoes over; spread evenly and press down lightly. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden brown and crisp. Stir in chicken. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper. In the same skillet heat the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until melted. Pour in egg mixture. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on bottom and around edge. Using a spatula or large spoon, lift and fold the partially cooked egg mixture so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg mixture is cooked through but is still glossy and moist. Immediately remove from heat.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in microwave-safe paper towels. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) about 1 minute or until heated through. Divide potato mixture among tortillas, spooning it just below the center of each tortilla. Divide egg mixture and chile peppers among tortillas; sprinkle with cheese. Fold bottom edge of each tortilla up and over filling, fold in opposite sides, and roll up from the bottom. Tightly wrap each burrito in heavy foil and chill overnight.
- Tote foil-wrapped burritos and salsa in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill (with a cover). For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edge of grill. Test for medium heat above center of grill. Place foil-wrapped burritos on grill rack over center of grill, stacking slightly, if necessary. Cover and heat about 15 minutes or until heated through, turning and rearranging once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking and heat as above.) Serve burritos with salsa.
The day before:
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
On-site grill (with a cover)
Nutrition Facts(Chicken Breakfast Burritos)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 198 mg chol.,
- 614 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet